The history of Riverside centers on two families during the 1800s – the Farnsleys and the Moremens. Ebenezer Christopher first purchased the property in 1822, establishing a farm and ferry boat service with the labor of nine enslaved African Americans. Christopher died in 1827. In time, the 200-acre estate was purchased by Gabriel Farnsley who built the ca. 1837 Greek Revival house seen today. A bachelor, Farnsley increased the farm to 415 acres, cultivating fruit trees, hay, oats, wheat and corn. Farnsley died in 1849. Most of his property was sold at public auction, including the thirteen enslaved African Americans who worked the farm. After a long court case, the Moremen family purchased the property in 1862. Alanson and Rachel Moremen increased the property to 1,000 acres, raising livestock and a diversity of crops with the labor of 23 enslaved African Americans. The Moremen family would continue to own the property until purchased by Jefferson County for use as an historic site in 1988. It opened to the public in 1993 as a museum and park and is currently operated by the Metro Louisville Parks Department.